I did a tune up for some new folks in town. The bike was in great condition, but the front derailleur was a bit wonky and kept skipping over the middle sprocket when downshifting from high gear. I cleaned the drivetrain and then hit it with some WD-40 followed by lube. That, along with some adjustments of the limit screws, got the rear derailleur all sorted out. The front, however, just didn’t like me, or something. In the end I removed it, scrubbed and cleaned it, decreased and lubed it, and worked it back and forth a lot along the way. Then I placed it back on the bike and tried over and over to make it work properly, but no matter what adjustments I made it would not stop skipping that gear. So I worked out everything else I could find and took a few tools along for the test ride. I kept making small adjustments to the tension and the angle of the derailleur until suddenly, when all hope seemed lost, some combination finally worked and the problem was fixed. I rode it around some more, shifting my ass off, until I was satisfied. Oddly enough, I later passed the owner while she was riding around Back Cove with her family, so I got the chance to swing around and check in on the bike. She said it was running better than ever, which made me feel fantastic. What a pleasant bit of happenstance!