While I was working in the attic with Ezra he noticed that Judi was quite rusty in parts, mainly because I put her away without properly scrubbing everything down. And so I took apart her drivetrain and he helped me scrub. But when I went to reassemble the rear wheel I noticed that it felt a little loose and wobbly. The middle gears had felt a little strange when riding lately, and that explains it. So I took apart the freewheel and overhauled it. Now it is running smoothly.
I have been working on a late 70s Schwinn Continental that I got from my mom’s friend’s uncle’s cousin, or some such thing. It was a little beat up and it came to me in pieces. I fully disassembled it, did my thang, then finally started to reassemble it. The bike is finished now, but here’s some of the stuff I did. I’ll post a finished pic once I get to test ride it.
The rear derailleur had bearings instead of bushings, which I don’t see too often these days. It was all loose and the jockey wheels were flopping all over the place before, but after a crock pot bath and an overhaul it works great!
I got this Atala from its original owner who bought it in the 70’s and rode it around Portland while they were attending law school at USM. I’m told it’s been ridden around seasonally since then, but I’m thinking it’s been in storage at least the last few years. Lots of surface rust, but so far it doesn’t look like a ton of pitting on the frame. The chrome…well, I haven’t done anything to it yet, so I’m going to try to stay positive until I’ve had a chance to clean it up. The bits and pieces are the only Campy that I’ve come across so far, so it’ll be interesting to finally get the chance to fix some up and see how they work on the road. I’ll have to find a front derailleur to replace the replacement. And I’ve heard good things about the Universal brakes, but have likewise never found any before. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to start working on this bike for a couple months because the Great Maine Bike Swap (http://maineswap.com/event-details/) is coming up and I have many sellable bikes that need fixin’.
Saw some Eddie Izzard tonight! I went for a bike ride around the trails in Portland last night and kept my eyes out for Eddie out for a run since he seems to do a lot of that, but nah. He probably wasn’t in town yet anyway.
I redid all the cables, tuned it up, tightened and adjusted the brakes, and several other things. Then I finally took it out for a test ride and some pictures. It rides great! It shifts smoothly and beautifully through all the gears. It looks mighty pretty, too. Now it’s hanging out at the bottom of my stairs for it’s happy, new owner to come pick it up! She should be by tomorrow.
I put new bearings into the races. This is for the BB. Oddly enough here were different sized bearings on each side. I also soaked the derailleurs in some paint thinner and cleaned them thoroughly with yonder toothbrush. Then I hung everything back on the frame and reattached the chain.
Motobecane bottom bracket work.